Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Uncle Leo

Please join me in praying for my extended family today. I am sad to share that my great uncle Leo passed away this morning. My uncle Leo was an extrordinarily kind and generous person who will be missed by many.

When I was a teen, I had a boyfriend who was in a terrible motorcycle accident while he and my family were vacationing in Wisconsin. The boyfriend was rushed to a hospital near my Aunt Jeanette and Uncle Leo's house. They opened their home to me, so that I could stay while he recovered. I stayed with them for awhile that summer. The boyfriend didn't last, but my love for my Great Aunt and Uncle did. I never could get over how they always seemed ot share more than they had, or why they would open up their lives to me the way they did.

My Uncle Leo was the kind of person who believed so strongly in Christ that you would think God was sitting right next to him in the flesh. As a teen, his faith was important to the development of my own. He was a rare soul, uninterested in material wealth or self-centeredness. He was a good father, husband and uncle, a volunteer, and an easy smile on a hard day. I didn't see my uncle often, once or twice a year since that summer, but I can tell you with some certainty that I will often miss him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sincere condolences on the loss of your uncle Leo