Friday, March 28, 2008

Nursing School

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers regarding my admission to nursing school. After a long, painful wait, I found out this week that I was admitted to the ADN program at Heartland Community College.

For all of you out there wondering why I am so happy to be going to a community college for nursing school - there were over 200 applicants for 30 seats. You needed to have above a 3 pt GPA and have all of the prerequisites done (Anatomy I & II, Microbiology, Psychology, Chemistry, Nutrition etc.) plus score well on the entrance exam to have a prayer. I was already rejected by Mennonite (ISU's nursing school) where admitted students this year had an average GPA of 3.77 on a 4.0 scale - an all time high. My 3.45 didn't cut it there.

The blessing behind my admission to Heartland is that my two year program will only cost around $4,000. Compare that to around $18,000 for ISU or about $40,000 for U of I. And, although it isn't a Bachelors (BSN), I will be qualified to become a Registered Nurse (RN). So, I guess it's a pretty good deal. If you want to see where I will be going to school - here's a link.

http://www.heartland.edu/hhs/nurs/adn/

3 comments:

Leonna said...

Congratulations. I know you will do great. I loved being a hospital nurse (even tho I was only a student). And an RN now can upgrade to an RNBS if that's where you want to go.

Unknown said...

Great job! I knew you would get in. There's really no point on getting your BS unless you want to pursue your masters. Confidence and self respect will come with time on the floor, not from additional classes you will pay way too much for in time, hardship and money. I'm very good at my job, nobody can tell I only have an associates degree (in nursing), and visa versa. I love going to work and I hope you will to someday! Congratulations again!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is great. You should become a geriatric nurse....but hurry. Can you say, "It's been two days, time to change your diaper?"