Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Perfect Hug

My daughter Madelin hugged me today. Her tiny arms clamped around my neck with a vice like grip. She squeezed into me, for no particular reason, burying her head under my chin. Her hair smelled like shampoo and something else…probably dirt, or sweat or food. It was the smell of childhood.

I was drawn to how she has become quite tall for her age but still fits in the crook of my arm. It still feels as if I could envelop her delicate bones twice around. But, even as I hug her, I know the stealthy undercurrent of change is coming. In its shocking yet comforting way, it will come like a thief in the night and transform her.

It was a long hug: a tight, brilliant and warm show of affection, completely unguarded. Although I get several a day, it was special, as each is special. Finally, she pulled away. I do not pull away first, anymore. But, everyone has a schedule to keep and today, it was time to play hopscotch.

No comments: