Friday, November 30, 2007

Something You Don't See Every Day

So, this is a picture of the brain I dissected on Wednesday in my last Anatomy and Physiology lab. In case you are wondering, it's from a sheep. It's oddly shapped because they come in a big vacuum seal bag of 50 and I guess that's a lot of Cerebral crowding. I know because I had to reach my hand into said bag to retrieve my pick of speciman. I decided to take a picture because it occured to me that this might be the last time I get the chance to dissect a brain. I mean how often does it come up - really? This might be the most edgy thing I do this year.
This is the eyeball I dissected next. Also from a sheep but from a different bag so I can't claim it was the same sheep. Not too bad after the first squirt.






The lab was interesting but I do have to say that the timing could have been better. I was on a clear liquid diet that day. All I could eat was jello. So, I cut open the eye to examine the retina and the vitreous humor came out in a big glob. Looks just like - you guessed it - Jello.

Got an "A" for the lab but I'm not sure I will ever eat Jello again.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Leonna said...

I am curious. What sort of a degree are you persuing that requires hands on disecting?

Anonymous said...

Brain oddly shaped because you lopped off the left side of it to feed your hunger. YUK!!!