Saturday, July 15, 2006

I Found my thrills on Blueberry...

Well, not really Blueberry Hill, but the girls and I sure did pick a bunch of berries...20 lbs. worth. At a buck a pound, it almost offset the price of gas to get to the farm.
Tammen Berry Farm in Braidwood IL is something to see for anyone visiting the area in July. The bushes are about 6 feet high and loaded with blueberries so you don’t even have to bend over to pick. They create their own shade and don’t have any thorns to deal with. There also isn’t a whole lot of walking involved because the bushes are right next to the parking lot.

The 20 lbs took us about 3 hours to pick and measured about 7 quarts. We froze most of them. They are much sweeter and firmer than the store bought variety.

I would rank the experience right up there with Funks Grove Maple Sirup Farm in March and the Morton Pumpkin Festival in October as one of the great Illinois day trips.

Hannah ate her weight in berries while she was picking. I told her it was OK with me because they can’t charge you for the ones in your belly! :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: