Saturday, January 27, 2007

The 411 on 911

Do you remember being 5? I try to when my kids do things that don't make sense to me. I try to think what it was like to be small: to look up constantly, to be over-powered often, to sit in too big furniture.

Last night, the phone rang and Aaron and I picked it up at the same time. I was upstairs, he was downstairs. A distant sounding voice urgently said "Someone dialed 911 from this number. Is there an emergency?"

Aaron and I both said "No" at the same time.

"We have a recording of a child's voice." the woman said. We explained there was nothing wrong but the dispatcher said they are required to send a police officer to the scene.

So, while we waited for the police officer to arrive we had a little talk with Madelin. Here's her side of the story. She was messing with the phone, she reached 911, and when they answered she told them "I don't need you." and hung up. We both came down on her pretty hard about NEVER dialing playing with the phone again etc.. Then, we made her apologize to the police officer for having to come to our house.

This is where it gets interesting. When the door opened to reveal the uniformed police officer, I thought Madi was going to wet her pants. She apologized and then bawled and bawled. Why do I have this strange feeling this is going to come up in some therapy session later in life?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At least she realized the severity of the situation. Some time you will have to ask me about Adam's little "Skittle" incident when he was four. Too much info for a blog comment. No tears were shed there. Your Madeline will be just fine. She will end up hating you for something else.

Leonna said...

Look at it this way, she was curious about all the hoopla with 911 and needed to test it out. She didn't realize it would cause you such distress. But, now that she knows the system works she can stop worrying/thinking about it and move on. She will always know, now, that 911 is for emergencies and that if needed, someone will be right their for her - no matter what. She is a smart cookie. Her learning style is great - doesn't take anything on someone else's word. GO MADDI